- The Carlingwoood and Rosemount Libraries are both hosting the TD Canada Trust Summer Read program complete with kick-off party, weekly events and materials to keep your kids focused and having fun. Registration for the individual events is required - sign up at your closest branch or at http://www.biblioottawalibrary.com/ with your (free) library card, or simply pick up the materials at your closest library branch
- Mothercraft is hosting a free drop-in playgroup every Monday and Wednesday morning from 9:15 to 11:15 am at Champlain Park (140 Carleton Avenue). It is weather dependant so call (613) 728-1839 x.0 if you're not sure or if you want more information.
- Wading pools - For a full listing as well as hours visit http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/parks_recreation/seasonal/ss/wading_pools/info_en.html. Local pools include, (from west to east) Woodroffe, McKellar Park, Westboro (Dovercourt), Hampton Park, Iona and Champlain Park. Each has different play structures and other facilites such as tennis, basketball or baseball so mix it up to keep it interesting. Parkdale is closed for renovation this season.
- Westboro Beach - a personal favorite. Check the water quality before you go http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/health/inspections/beaches/updates_en.html but don't be too discouraged if it's closed - the sand is still great to play in!
- Friday evening swims at Dovercourt free for children courtesy of Martin Elder of Keller Williams (and don't miss Survivor Island on July 30th and Radical H2O on August 20th. See my event listings for more details or visit http://www.dovercourt.org/.
- The Hintonburg Community Association will be hosting one more free movie night on August 14th - The Spy Nextdoor and It's Complicated - see my event listing for more detail or visit http://www.hintonburg.com/. I think this is a fabulous idea - kudos (sp?) to the HCA!
- Local Parks - for a list of park closures as well as some great alteratives see http://www.offhand.ca/index.php?mmp&name=20100330_Heads_up_Park_Closures
Friday, June 25, 2010
FREE Summer Activities - updated a bit = )
I'm not working this summer so we're all more foot loose and fancy free. The big boys didn't want to do too many camps but I know we still need to keep busy. Freebies seem like a good place to start. Thanks to Denise for recommending this topic - and please, if you know of other freebies, let me know!