Thursday, April 26, 2012

Walk so Kids can Talk: A (passionate) word about Kids Help Phone

One of my ten year old son's parents has a passionate dedication to Kids Help Phone and I want to pass on her message below. If you can support in any way, please do so!
________________

The Walk So Kids Can Talk event for Kids Help Phone is taking place May 6th. Mike, Tyler, Evan and I will be participating for the fourth year. This is a cause very close to my heart. I started volunteering for Kids Help Phone after the 15 year old nephew of a friend, committed suicide.


640 kids a day contact Kids Help Phone either by phone or online. That's 2.5 million kids per year (and 100,000 from our community alone!). Shouldn't we make sure that they can get the help they need if they are BRAVE enough to ask for it? Kids Help Phone can not keep up with the demand and may have to shut down the phone lines during peak crisis hours.

A $50 donation will help give two children an online counselling response. A $100 donation will help give one depressed child an hour with a counsellor. A $250 donation will help 6 homeless youths be connected with support services in their own community to begin a new chapter in life. A $500 donation will send awareness materials to 100 Canadian schools.

100% of donations made go to pay professional counsellors for their services to help kids.

I would hope that if my sons had a problem they would come to my husband or me.  BUT, realistically, I know that it doesn't matter how great your relationship with your kids is, there will be issues that they would not be comfortable discussing with their parents. I know I didn't always talk to my parents. Did you? I am so thankful that Kids Help Phone is available for my boys - someone who can help if they feel they don't have another choice.

If you would like to help the 2.5 million kids contacting Kids Help Phone 24 hours a day, 365 days per year, please click on the link below. It may be one of your own kids.Online pledges can be made securely with VISA, MasterCard, American Express or PayPal by clicking on the link below. An electronic tax receipt will be emailed to you within 24 hours.




http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?SID=3325579&langPref=en-CA



Why not join us on Sunday, May 6? Online registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Visit http://www.walksokidscantalk.ca for more information.

Thank you for your generosity,
Suzie